Thursday, February 10, 2011

Back at the Beginning Again

    Ok ...I have been writing the story of CBCC  in a bit of a circle. I am sorry for any confusion but I can only say that that seems to be the way my brain functions these days! I started at the beginning, then digressed back twice and now I am back to where Chesapeake Bay Christmas Co started to become its own entity, to breath on its own, to stand on its own legs so to speak.
    It was 1995 and I had made my first several sales, was working like a fiend, had entered many craft shows that were BIG shows ( I did not have the sense to start small!) I was scheduled to do the Neptune Festival in Virginia Beach at the end of September on the Boardwalk. It  was a huge deal for CBCC a great launching pad so to speak! This was a big show right in the heart of our customer base. It was three days of marathon of crowds, beach weather, and a set up nightmare! I NEEDED HELP! Circle back once again to my good friend Shawnette!
     I asked Shawnette,  my friend from PTO and play group, ("In the Beginning" blog) if she would give me a hand....because I was in over my head! She graciously jumped in with her signature high energy and encouragement and positive outlook...and  we have been doing this together ever since.  Honestly this little business would have never come to life without her steady influence. She has been  the calm force that has allowed me to continue on as the creative mess that I can sometimes be. She is always positive, always has my back, and always cuts through the crap! (whoops....sorry) I will not gush anymore except to say that Chesapeake Bay Christmas Co would have been shipwrecked years ago without her help!
    It was also at this time that two other wonderful friends and artists came on board with CBCC. Lindy Brammer a wonderful gifted artist who gave my line such an upscale boost! She designed many new ornaments and painted like a fiend to help us keep up with busy show schedule and new wholesale accounts. I also got the help from her talented husband Lee who was a graphic designer/photographer. He was such a help in the early days when we were trying to figure out website stuff and brochures and everything marketing! Then we still needed help and Lindy led us to an acquaintance of hers, Mary Albert. Mary was an artist like no other. She could paint in the most amazing detail. I would sketch out rough ideas and she would bring them to life in such an amazing way. Her level of detail was so refined that our customers had trouble believing her designs were actually hand painted . My team was in place now and we had something really outstanding going on!

      Follow our next Blog ""Neptune Nightmare" to hear about that first big  boardwalk craft show in Virginia Beach!

Thank you so much for reading!

Lynn

www.chesapeaekbaychristmas.com
www.facebook.com/chesapeakebaychristmas
www.twitter.com/chesbachristmas

No comments: