Friday, March 4, 2011

Technology spells Trouble!

   I apologize for being AWOL for the past week. This has been a challenging week for us at CBCC as every piece of technology that we depend on seemed to decide to fail at the same time! In a single week we had a virus take over one of our computers, our Visa/MC terminal broke, the paypal system we recently upgraded our website to use was not working properly, and we had a power failure on the computer that has our business software and temporarily ( Thank God!) removed our entire 2010 books from anywhere that I could find it! I was in the middle of putting the finishing touches on the 2010 books and printing reports for taxes when the lights started to flicker and I quickly moved to back up the files just as....THE LIGHTS WENT OUT!! That's right when I went back to open the file again it was GONE!! I had a weekend of angst thinking I would have to reconstruct my whole year of everything....but I called my friend and MYOB expert Susan Burdette and she talked me through finding the file over the phone! I love you Susan...if anyone following this blog needs a business software expert in the Richmond/Williamsburg area she is the best!
   So back to the fact that it has been a week of Technological Tragedies!...  things are looking up... it is Friday and we have replaced our Visa terminal( and learned how to use it), fixed the Paypal problem (with a little help from our friend Tim LeGrand at Host International), are wiping the lap top with a virus clean and starting over( thank you Gary!), and yes we found the 2010 books good as new             
    Shawnette and I felt our patience and our aging brains pushed to the final frontier this week... but in the end we prevailed!...proving you can teach old dogs new tricks and there is still some gray matter left at our disposal when we absolutely need it (and friends that know their stuff too)! 
   Now maybe we can get back to what we do best....making the best Coastal Santas and  Coastal Christmas ornaments in the business...Thanks for reading!
Lynn
www.chesapeakebaychristmas.com

No comments: