Monday, May 2, 2011

Bin Laden gone! Our nations decline is not!

   Last night I was watching the Apprentice and painting Pirate Crab ornaments when NBC announced that President Obama would be addressing the Nation about an important news development. My reaction was surprising to myself. I actually had a minor anxiety attack. I assumed that for the President to be making an unscheduled news break on late Sunday evening that it would have to be a catastrophic news event! I immediately said a prayer for the event to be good news rather than bad but I actually had little faith that that would be the case. The result of course was good news for our country...even though it involved  the  violent death of many people including the infamous architect of 911.

    I have been looking at why I jumped to such a negative conclusion when I heard the announcement of the news break. I have become conditioned to receiving my daily dose of violent, immoral and indecent news...it has become the standard of the day.  Even this good news was actually rooted in at least one of the above...but  it brought with it justice for those who died in 911 a crime committed against all humanity. I am glad this chapter in our nations history has come to an end...but I am still fearful for our future as a  country in this new global world. I hope that my fear will spur me  to contribute good and solid work and spirit to this country  that seems to be setting its bar ever lower to survive its own disappointments in itself. We must do good work to combat and counter balance the bad that seems to be becoming more acceptable to us. We must not allow mediocrity  to become  the new norm. We must look to raise the bar higher and not let it fall any lower. We must be willing to examine ourselves honestly to make the changes necessary to bring honor back into our institutions  and into our hearts and souls. Lets get back to our roots of honesty and courage and ethical behavior. Lets stop setting immoral examples and celebrating our right to set them for the whole world. Yes we do have that right...lets recognize that as our right, a right that we will choose to decline..that we will choose to walk away from for the health of our children and their children and our great nation "under God" with liberty and justice for all. Let us once again be an example to the world...not what we seem to be becoming..a country of entitled apathetic rationalizers!
   The Bin Ladens of the world threaten our physical bodies our safety...they threaten our lives. Our own cultivation of mediocrity and immorality threatens something far worse...our souls... and the very foundation that this country was built on!
Thanks for reading,
Lynn

No comments: