Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Wedding Day!...part one...Working up a Storm!

   We awoke to steel grey skies and wind wind wind ...but no rain yet...still hope! This was the day that Matt and Alex, her Mom, Shawnette, Van and I had worked so hard for. I felt a little anxious so I know how Alex must be feeling! The prayer that had been offered daily for a week was spoken once more and I spoke to myself about having faith!
   We met with friends and family in the motel restaurant ( which was amazing by the way!) for a great breakfast. I was only good for a few bites though so Shawnette and I shared an omelet. Then it was on to the Freight Shed to offload all of the bar goods, paper goods and decorating materials. These items filled my large Toyota Sequoia, Shawnette's Exterra, Van's pickup and the back seat of my son Jake's pick up! My cell phone stayed glued to my ear as everyone checked in to confirm schedules and plans....and it was not long before I realized what I had left behind! I knew there would be something...there always is! The white twinkle lights had not made the trip down so I called my neighbor Bob and asked him to go on a search of my house and garage and trailer to find them. This was a desperate measure as I was not happy about having to expose my less than clean and unorganized home to my next door neighbor...Bob! After several tries at opening boxes and moving more boxes he called to say that he had found them and they were on their way!  Thank you Bob! you saved the day!
     In the meantime a whole army of help... friends and family had arrived to help us decorate and set up the bar and secure the tent as the wind gusts gained strength and the sky spit and sputtered and we wondered how this thing was ever going to work!.... but lights went up, lanterns went up...bungee cords and duct tape and ladders came out... and the men got the bar iced down and organized to service a crowd that we knew would spend much time in front of it! There really are times when women must  admit that we do need men for some things and this was one of them! (Although Shawnette was still in firm control!) Thank you Van and Mr. Chris and Matt Smith, Jake,Wales and Josh and a small army of others!
     It was now time for the caterer and florist and cake crew to arrive and work their magic...but they were late...so I headed back to the motel to start the process of  everyone getting dressed and meeting with the photographers...Shawnette stayed at the venue until the  professionals arrived. I flipped on the TV to check the progress of the storm that was marching toward us and to see what its time schedule looked like...I was not happy with what I saw... Faith, Faith and more Faith...another prayer goes up!
    The bride and her mom Melissa arrive...we are really going to have a wedding...come hell or high water! What an appropriate little phrase this was  for this day! The wind continues to gain strength but there still has not been much rain...just some spitting and sputtering...hope!
Wedding Day....to be continued!
Thanks for reading,
Lynn

we welcome you to our online store at www.chesapeakebaychristmas.com
Let us bring a little bit of the Chesapeake into your Home and Holidays!

No comments: